Healthy eating is important to your overall wellness. It can be hard to create delicious and nutritious meals when you're feeling uninspired, not to mention trying to find something the whole family will love. That's why we've whipped up a few recipes to help inspire your inner chef!
These simple meals have been adapted by Jason Dahl, our Food Services Manager, and can be enjoyed by your family all year long. We know your time is important, so each meal takes only a few minutes to create and contains ingredients you can easily find at your local grocery store or in your own pantry.
Whether your looking to get your health back on track, or just looking for some tasty new ideas, we're sure we have something you'll love! Bon appetit!
- 4 Cups Baby Spinach
- 1 Pint Cherry Tomatoes, Halved
- 1/2 Cup Sunflower Seeds
- 1 Maple Chicken Sausage. Cooked and Diced
- 4 Large Eggs
- 4 Oz Cheddar Cheese
- 3 Tbs Lemon Juice
- 4 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1.5 Tbs Honey
- 1.5 tbs Dijon Mustard
- Portion the spinach into 4 separate bowls.
- Place the sunflower seeds, cheddar cheese, chicken sausage and cherry tomato in equal portions on top of the spinach.
- Cook eggs over easy (or to your liking) and place over the spinach.
- Combine the lemon juice, olive oil, honey and mustard in a pan and whisk to combine. Heat just until warm and drizzle over the salads. Serve warm.
Pesto Caprese Salad
- 1 LB Spiral Shaped Pasta
- 1 Pint Cherry Tomatoes, Halved
- 8 Oz Mozzarella, Small Balls
- 1 Cup Pine Nuts, Roasted
- 5 1/2 Cups Fresh Basil, Lightly Packed
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese, Grated
- 5 Cloves Garlic, Roasted
- 2 Tbs Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Pinch of Salt
Cook pasta until al-dente and drain, while saving 1/4 cup - 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
For the pesto: In a blender add the basil, 1/2 cup of the pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, garlic, lemon juice, and salt. While on low, slowly drizzle the olive oil into the blender until combined. Drizzle the pasta water into the blender until the desired consistency is reached. Set aside.
For the pasta salad: Pour pesto over the pasta while its still warm and toss to combine. Add cherry tomatoes, mozzarella, remaining pine nuts. ** If serving cold, refrigerate the pasta and tomatoes, mozzarella, and pine nut mixture separately. Combine right before serving.
Grilled Salmon with Bacon and Corn Relish
- 2 Boneless Salmon Fillets
- Salt and Pepper
- 6 Thick Cut Bacon, Diced
- 1/4 Cup Green Onions, Diced
- 1/4 Cup Red Peppers
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 1-2 Tbs Rice Vinegar
- Cayenne (optional)
- Clean grill grates and spray with vegetable spray. On high heat, add salmon and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill salmon for 5-6 minutes without moving (use tongs or spatula to rotate the fish 45 degrees for cross marks, but grill for 3-4 each per cross). Spray the bottom side and flip over carefully. Grill for additional 5-6 minutes or until cooked through. Carefully remove the fish and reserve for plate.
- In saute pan cook bacon until crispy. Remove the crispy bacon and drain on paper towel. Add the corn, red pepper, olive oil and vinegar to pan and cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and mix in the bacon and scallions. Season with salt and pepper and cayenne, if desired.
Heart Healthy Recipe
Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 medium Onion, Diced
- 3 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Cup vegetable Broth
- 3 Medium Sweet Potatoes, Peeled and Cut in Chunks
- 1 Cup Chopped Carrots
- 1 Cup Chopped Celery
- 1 1/2 Cups Cooked Kidney Beans
- 1 Tbsp Tamari
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute; for about 7 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the sweet potatoes, carrots, and celery and simmer for about 40 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are very tender.
- Stir in the kidney beans, tamari, cayenne pepper, cumin, paprika, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Cook for a few more minutes, until everything is warm (simmer even longer for extra-thick chili). Serve with the Sour Cream, cheese (if desired), and green onions.
In addition to nutritional services, Sturdy offers weight management and wellness programs to achieve weight loss and manage medical conditions.