Healthy eating is important to your overall wellness. It can be hard to create delicious and nutritious meals when you're feeling uninspired, not to mention trying to find something the whole family will love. That's why we've whipped up a few recipes to help inspire your inner chef!
These simple meals have been adapted by Jason Dahl, our Food Services Manager, and can be enjoyed by your family all year long. We know your time is important, so each meal takes only a few minutes to create and contains ingredients you can easily find at your local grocery store or in your own pantry.
Whether your looking to get your health back on track, or just looking for some tasty new ideas, we're sure we have something you'll love! Bon appetit!
- 4 Cups Baby Spinach
- 1 Pint Cherry Tomatoes, Halved
- 1/2 Cup Sunflower Seeds
- 1 Maple Chicken Sausage. Cooked and Diced
- 4 Large Eggs
- 4 Oz Cheddar Cheese
- 3 Tbs Lemon Juice
- 4 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1.5 Tbs Honey
- 1.5 tbs Dijon Mustard
- Portion the spinach into 4 separate bowls.
- Place the sunflower seeds, cheddar cheese, chicken sausage and cherry tomato in equal portions on top of the spinach.
- Cook eggs over easy (or to your liking) and place over the spinach.
- Combine the lemon juice, olive oil, honey and mustard in a pan and whisk to combine. Heat just until warm and drizzle over the salads. Serve warm.
Pesto Caprese Salad
- 1 LB Spiral Shaped Pasta
- 1 Pint Cherry Tomatoes, Halved
- 8 Oz Mozzarella, Small Balls
- 1 Cup Pine Nuts, Roasted
- 5 1/2 Cups Fresh Basil, Lightly Packed
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese, Grated
- 5 Cloves Garlic, Roasted
- 2 Tbs Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Pinch of Salt
Cook pasta until al-dente and drain, while saving 1/4 cup - 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
For the pesto:In a blender add the basil, 1/2 cup of the pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, garlic, lemon juice, and salt. While on low, slowly drizzle the olive oil into the blender until combined. Drizzle the pasta water into the blender until the desired consistency is reached. Set aside.
For the pasta salad:Pour pesto over the pasta while its still warm and toss to combine. Add cherry tomatoes, mozzarella, remaining pine nuts. ** If serving cold, refrigerate the pasta and tomatoes, mozzarella, and pine nut mixture separately. Combine right before serving.
Grilled Salmon with Bacon and Corn Relish
- 2 Boneless Salmon Fillets
- Salt and Pepper
- 6 Thick Cut Bacon, Diced
- 1/4 Cup Green Onions, Diced
- 1/4 Cup Red Peppers
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 1-2 Tbs Rice Vinegar
- Cayenne (optional)
- Clean grill grates and spray with vegetable spray. On high heat, add salmon and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill salmon for 5-6 minutes without moving (use tongs or spatula to rotate the fish 45 degrees for cross marks, but grill for 3-4 each per cross). Spray the bottom side and flip over carefully. Grill for additional 5-6 minutes or until cooked through. Carefully remove the fish and reserve for plate.
- In saute pan cook bacon until crispy. Remove the crispy bacon and drain on paper towel. Add the corn, red pepper, olive oil and vinegar to pan and cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and mix in the bacon and scallions. Season with salt and pepper and cayenne, if desired.
Heart Healthy Recipe
Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 medium Onion, Diced
- 3 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Cup vegetable Broth
- 3 Medium Sweet Potatoes, Peeled and Cut in Chunks
- 1 Cup Chopped Carrots
- 1 Cup Chopped Celery
- 1 1/2 Cups Cooked Kidney Beans
- 1 Tbsp Tamari
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute; for about 7 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the sweet potatoes, carrots, and celery and simmer for about 40 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are very tender.
- Stir in the kidney beans, tamari, cayenne pepper, cumin, paprika, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Cook for a few more minutes, until everything is warm (simmer even longer for extra-thick chili). Serve with the Sour Cream, cheese (if desired), and green onions.
Mediterranean Pasta Salad
- 1 8 oz box of Banza Pasta
- 20 Sun Dried Tomatoes in Oil
- 2/3 Cup, Crumbled Feta
- 1 Cup Kalamata Olives, Pitted
- 4 Cups Baby Spinach
- 1/4 Cup of Olive Oil
- Bring pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta cook for about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally
- While pasta cooks, heat a pan over medium heat and add 1/4 cup of olive oil. Add sun dried tomatoes and olives.
- Continue to cook tomatoes and olives for 1 minute. Then add spinach leaves and cook until they are slightly wilted and remove from heat.
- Drain pasta and add to a serving bowl. Add spinach mixture to bowl along with crumbled feta and toss to combine. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil.
Watermelon & Feta Salad
- 4 Cups Cubed Watermelon
- 1/2 Cup Feta Cheese
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 1/2 Cup Balsamic Drizzle
- Pinch of Salt and Pepper
- 1 Cup Packed Arugula
- Dice the watermelon and drain.
- Cut red onion into thin slices.
- Combine the arugula, watermelon, feta, salt and pepper, and onions. Mix well.
- Arrange on plates and drizzle with balsamic glaze.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Mustard Dressing
- 2 LB Brussels Sprouts, halved
- 6 Tbsp Olive Oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3/4 tsp Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Grainy Mustard
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Parsley
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Toss together Brussels sprouts, 2 tablespoons oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Transfer to a large rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Roast until golden and just tender, about 20 minutes, stirring once after 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together vinegar, mustard, 1 tablespoon parsley, sprinkle of salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Add remaining 1/4 cup oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly, until emulsified.
- Add sprouts to dressing; toss to coat. Transfer to platter; sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon parsley.
Holiday Leftover Salad with Cranberry Sauce Dressing
- 2 cups Baby Spinach Leaves
- 1/4 Cup Green Beans
- 1 Tbsp Sliced Almonds
- 1/3 Cup Stuffing, Cubed and Toasted
- 3 ounces Turkey Breast, Shredded
- 2 Tbsp Cranberry Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- Sprinkle of Salt
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Water
- In a covered container,combine cranberry sauce, cider vinegar, salt, olive oil and water and shake until well combined.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cube stuffing into chunks and toast until dried out and crispy on the edges.
- Top baby spinach with turkey, green beans, almonds, stuffing croutons. Drizzle with cranberry dressing. Enjoy!.
In addition to nutritional services, Sturdy offers weight management and wellness programs to achieve weight loss and manage medical conditions.